Wednesday, August 18, 2010

welding catchup

More welding, this time the front outrigger and front end of the sill.
Now I had to change my original plan to patch up the outrigger and had to go for a more ruthless approach. Why? well because firstly I found out that my welding skills are not yet honed enough to allow me to weld upside down (overhead?), the small bit I managed was solid but not very pretty and more importantly the spatter caused me serious pain, oh and I found more rust inside there than I originally suspected, this is what probably caused the spatter too I guess?

so out with the dremmel and cutting disc and whop off another chunk of the outrigger, in hindsight I really should just have drilled out all the spot welds and made up a new outrigger but I like keeping as much original steel as possible, and the way that the outriggers overlap each other it might have turned out to be even more trouble that way.

so off comes more, my attempt at patching it can be seen on the bit hanging off.



I bent up a new repair panel that made sure I had a normal(ish) welding position plus a few over head plug welds.


and welded.


with this done I then spent 10 minutes staring at, tapping, caressing and generally admiring my handy work before I started on making the next stupidly over elaborate repair panels.

Now these bits are going to be hidden under another panel and will never ever ever be seen again (hopefully) but me and my OCD just had to make it right.... and then I ran out of time for the day so didn't get to weld them in.



and welded again.


this brings us up to date with where the welding is atm. I'm now post holiday and ready to get going again.

No comments:

Post a Comment